Wednesday, September 19, 2012

What Has Helped Me on My Relaxed Hair Care Journey


What would I contribute to my success so far in this hair journey???

 Why that is easy!!! I would have to say MOISTURE and TLC!!!! I could easily say PROTECTIVE STYLES, but that alone would be a lie. I began wearing half wigs in 2008, and sadly my hair remained dry, brittle, and untouched.
My hair has never been any longer than "scrapping" SL, until now, being FULL SL, and 1.5 inches away from APL!!!!


How do I maintain moisture?

I deep condition weekly.
I don't really pay attention to the whole "moisture conditioner this week, protein the next". I kinda sorta play it by ear and how my hair feels. Sometime I just "throw in" protein just because I feel like I hadn't used any in a while.

Keep in mind, that method is unique to my hair, and I have a "no fuss" regimen. Meaning that I do not make a big fuss about my hair. That is probably the 2nd biggest contribution to my progress.

Some hair may require more protein, while other may be protein sensitive, and require very little to no, protein. My hair seems to just go with the flow.

Another way I maintain moisture is I GHE twice a week, and seal with EVOO.

Other Contributors?

Stretching relaxers has definitely allowed my hair to remain thicker and stronger.

Ditching the "fine tooth" combs. Need I explain how these little monsters can and will rip and strip OUR hair?

Styling my own hair, simply because I am the most careful with my hair! No one will be more careful with "her" than I will, or implement the "safest" and most beneficial methods.

Learning HOW TO relax my own hair...and that doesn't mean getting it bone straight. How To: refers to prepping my hair and scalp, how to apply it CORRECTLY, how long to REALLY  leave it on,and other safety measures.

Another huge contributor has been knowing how far to go with my hair. When surfing through hair blogs, forums, and groups you will come across alot of "recommendations", advice, and tips. Not falling for the hype and not being a HUGE product junkie has kept me from having alot of set backs.

Don't get me wrong, I have dabbled a bit in curiosity, sometimes things worked, some didn't. Those times that didn't taught me that I didn't want to "stray" away from what I KNOW works, to often.

Unlisted Contributions but DEFINITELY recommended.

These are unlisted because while they are definitely changes that I implemented, I can't REALLY say that they are MAIN reasons for my progress for certain.

Ditching Shampoos.
I can't say that use of shampoos will hinder your journey because I have not had any bad experiences with any. Beginning my HHJ, I said I would shampoo once a month, and cowash weekly. That never changed, so I don't want to contribute it  to my progress, because who is to say that shampooing more, wouldn't have yielded the same results, if not better.

Protective Styles.
While I know they work, and it has been a contributor. I wouldn't feel right listing it as one, being that I did protective style for 3 years straight (never wore my real hair out) and still remained no longer than SL and certainly was not healthy.




In one year I went from NL to SL....and I am excitedly racing towards APL!!! I have to thank all of my fellow hair bloggers whom, I've learned so much from. I can only hope that one day I can be as beneficial to someone as you all have been to me :-)

5 comments:

  1. Oooo great post! I agree with playing moisture and protein by ear and doing your own relaxers! You've made great progress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I wish I would have learned the PJ lesson early in my journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that deep conditioning is so important. I think that has been the key thing for me and not combing everyday.
    I have nominated you for a versatile blogger award and would be grateful if you accepted it. http://thesizzlingmommy.com/2012/09/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it so good you have learned to listen your hair and give it what it needs. It's easy sailing after you figure that out

    ReplyDelete